So I am trying to install new inner tie rods on my 99 Maxima and I must "cinch" the lock plate back onto a groove on the steering rack.
- I have no idea how I'm supposed to see the location of the groove once the tie rod is torqued down.
- This makes it difficult to apply force
- I don't want to damage the rack by pushing in the wrong place
- I don't know what kind of tool I could use to cinch this plate down.
- There is barely enough clearance for a hand to pass by the back of the inner.
From the Factory Service Manual [ST-21]:
In order for this to work I have to:
- Attach the lock plate to the inner's socket
- Thread the inner into the rack
- THEN "cinch" the lock plate down
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Can't wait to get this thing back off the jack stands.