What is the easiest way to repaint the steering wheel emblem?
Use a small paint brush and small 1-2 oz paint wells from your local hobby store (Instead of using spray paint in a small enclosed area... Like the example link I provided in the question):
- prep the surface
- sand the emblem carefully with 1000 grit (taking care not to scratch the steering wheel part)
- clean the surface of dust and oils --> use either soap and water or some solvent (Xylene or Klean-Strip's "PREP-ALL")
- apply blue masking tape
- cut out the emblem from the tape
- using a small paint brush, paint 1-3 coats of chrome or black
- followed by a 1-3 coats of clear coat
I would have preferred to replace the emblem but my car's make/model (2008 Mazda 3) steering wheel emblem has 7 pegs that go into the steering wheel plate and I'm not confident the emblem could be removed by itself.
The easiest way to repaint the emblem is not to. These can be purchased very cheaply (cheaper than you'd pay for paint and materials) on eBay, Amazon and other similar websites.