I live in France and we had some unusual cold weather lately, like -10°C to -15°C. Since a week ago the engine of the car won't crank. The car stood in cold weather and wasn't started for 2-3 weeks in a row. I bicycle to work and also used another petrol SAAB 900NG I have. Previously the car started normally and worked almost perfectly, as I sometimes had messages of burnt light bulbs.
So the symptoms are :
- Engine doesn't make a noise when the key is on the start position.
- No starter ticks.
- No dimming lights, no intensity change of the dashboards indicators or of the interior lights.
- ESP and TC errors messages displayed after check up.
- ESP warning indicator on.
- Fuel indicator at 0 even though the real fuel level is at 1/4.
- Left and right position lights error messages.
- Other lights and indicators ok. Radio and Infotainment system working.
I thought it was the battery, but I excluded this reason because of the following tests :
- a. Permuted the battery with the 900NG. The batteries are the identical Varta E11, same age, 3.5 years each. No change!
- b. Charged the battery and tried to start immediately. No change!
- c. Tried to jump start with cables giving power from the 900NG, engine running. No change!
I incline to think it's probably an electrical problem somewhere. But I'm not good with electricity, but I do most of the mechanical service myself. I'll probably check :
- I. Fuses.
- II. Relays.
- III. Some wire harnesses
- IV. Ignition switch contacts (the ISM).
However, I really don't see how this happened, all of a sudden!!!
If you have any advise, please don't hesitate.