I recently had my car (2013 Chevy Cruze) serviced by the Dealer. I was told my transmission fluid was near black (I haven't seen it) and it was critical to be replaced. I have the following facts:
- Current mileage is 43k with light to moderate usage
- Dealership sales pamphlet recommends changing transmission fluid every 50k
- Owner's Manual recommends changing at 156k miles (normal, pg 11-5) or every 77k (severe, pg 11-7)
As I understand it, my situation is either
- Early failure of the transmission causing degradation of the fluid (the Dealer stated this is not the case)
- The Dealer is pulling my leg trying to make a quick buck
Is there a situation in which transmission fluid could have been degraded without a failure of the transmission?