My 1994 Mercedes-Benz C 180 (W202) won't start.
We are in a very cold winter, but even one month ago, it was not that cold.
Under the rear view mirror, there are two small lights: one is blue, the other is red. They start blinking red and blue simultaneously whenever:
- I turn the key on when starting the car.
- I press the IR remote to lock or to unlock the doors.
- A couple of days ago, the car did not start.
- After waiting 24 hours (in the same cold), it started.
- For the next 6 hours, it was fine.
- 9 hours after that, it wouldn't start.
- It had a brand new car battery.
- The starter cranked, but it was not enough to start the car.
- The battery light came on after turning the key.
- When using the IR remote, the lights weren't blinking.
- The dash lights were ok.
- I can hear the fuel pump go "ZZZzzz" which sounds normal.
Possibly Related Issue
Sometimes, pressing the IR key won't open the car doors. The car does not respond to the IR remote no matter how close I am to it.
When the IR remote does work, it only works if I am very close to the side mirror.
What I've Tried
- I had the car battery changed one day ago.
- The IR key's lithium battery was changed 2 months ago.
- I checked for corrosion on the battery connectors. They are holding well and don't have any rust.
- I have just sent the car to a mechanic, No Fuel pump problem, the problem is only electrical. More checking will be done later.
- CRANKSHAFT CRANK ANGLE SENSOR defection ,not sure yet as we still cannot find it for this module..
- the condition is more serious.
- The mechanic was getting to the conclusion that there is a faulty electric problem related to the security system.
- He was suggesting for me to use another key. Unfortunately i don't have another one.
- that mechanic told me he cannot assess/correct the problem any further.
- A certified mechanic/house,that looks for similar issues, told me through the phone that what my mechanic is fearing could get easily costing as much as 1000 Euro without labor. I can get with that price an identical non-faulty car in the market.
- At this stage the care have to be treated like a waste, as there is not much alternative for leaving it somewhere else. Furthermore my mechanic is asking for removing the car from his property as soon as possible.
Follow-up 4 and Conclusion
- There was too many call to drag the car from the front of the store of the mechanic. There was a chaotic snowing days. Also removing the car cost something like 100-150 euro. There was no affordable alternative to even mess with that system, my only excuse here is my own ignorance! The hint of Cc Dd below could have given me an opportunity. Now is too late, as i have handed the car over to recycling services.
- sadly the car has been driven only for 207 thousand and still very clean.
- I believe that a small and basic knowledge if how cars function could save us a lot of troubles.
- Thank you all for your support. This was an opportunity to learn.