After popping the hood, it is not immediately obvious how/where the headlights are. How do you get access to them?
This PDF file seems to have good instructions:
I haven't tried this myself on a Passat, though the final pieces seem vaguely similar to my New Beetle.
From the Passat World Forum:
- Open hood
- Carefully pull back and remove round weather seals from over the bulb area. These are not attached with anything more than friction and protect the inside bulb and wiring from the weather. Behind this outer cover you will find the bulb, wiring, clips, etc.
- Carefully, but somewhat forcefully, squeeze the sides together and and pull straight back on the black wiring attachement. Mine was a little stuck, but came off with some encouragement. Careful not to pull too far and mess up the wiring. Now you can easily see the bulbs prong connectors and clips that hold the bulb in place.
- After noting the seating of the bulb in the housing (There are three little arms that rest on the light housing and place the light in the correct configuration) squeeze together the silver clips holding the bulb in the housing and gently swing these arms back and away at the same time. This clip is actually one piece. Remove the old bulbs.
- Careful only to touch the silver connectors and not the glass, etc, on the new bulb, place the new bulb in the correct orientation in the housing and reattach silver clips. Now your new bulb is in place and ready to be plugged back in.
- Plug the black wiring harness onto light and replace weather seals.