This knob in an old trailer of mind broke off. Is it possible to replace it?

I'm curious if the aluminum "thread" that inserts into the knob has a name or standard. You can see what I mean in the first picture.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    That looks like the same male portion that sticks out of the crank out windows in my house. My knob looks completely different, but I think that's a fairly universal male "thread" and a local hardware store will have something for you.
    – cory
    Sep 29, 2016 at 19:19
  • That was it thx. Can check mark your answer.
    – the_prole
    Sep 29, 2016 at 20:04
  • 1
    One item ... Vice Grip. :o) Sep 29, 2016 at 20:15

2 Answers 2


You can be certain that the thread is a standard size. Take the screw or a similar one to a hardware store and they will help you find a matching one.

As was mentioned in the comments, the attachment looks very much like a standard window crank. I would bet that a search on Google or the like would turn up some sources.

  • 1
    I found the Crank at Miner's
    – the_prole
    Oct 2, 2016 at 22:34
  • Congratulations!
    – dlu
    Oct 2, 2016 at 22:58

I would try to use Round Valve for plumbing. Something like this and bolt it down really well for a tight fit. To secure the fit, may be even use liquid nails or solder it to the male piece.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.