I'm gearing up to do some maintenance on a BRP watercraft and I came across this statement in the factory manual:

"3. Using a fiber hammer, gently tap impeller cover to help release it from the jet pump housing"

Here it is in context:

enter image description here

Of all the different manuals and catalogs I've read and jobs I've worked I've never heard the term "fiber hammer". I suppose "fiber hammer" could mean "block of wood used like a hammer", but that's just a guess. I suppose they mean some sort of non-marring hammer, but I'm not sure. Googling "fiber hammer" just turns up hammers with fiberglass handles. McMaster-Carr doesn't list any "fiber hammers" in their index.

What, exactly, is a fiber hammer?

1 Answer 1


I don't know for sure, but would assume they are stating something like a dead blow hammer or possibly a hammer with a non-metal face. Something which might look like this:

enter image description here

You're looking for a hammer which is nonmetallic in nature so as to not damage the surface of what you're working on.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .