I am trying to identify a certain part but after extensive googling still don't have an answer. So the part that I am looking at is located just behind the front bumper cover and above the engine under cover (Left) of a 2003 Toyota Camry. It is a black container of some kind. I have read the user manual from cover to cover but couldn't identify this part. Actually I found all the manuals describe only the parts located right under the bonnet while the one I'm after is a bit lower, closer to the wheel. I couldn't identify anything that is connected to it as it's hidden from sight. I realize that's a bit vague but any ideas?

enter image description here

  • take a picture of the component you would like to identify. This will go a long way in helping narrow down what you're looking for.
    – SteveRacer
    Aug 31, 2016 at 4:14
  • @SteveRacer Yes I agree of course. The problem however is that I do not have access to the car right now and won't have for a couple more days so wanted to get some info meanwhile.
    – Eugene S
    Aug 31, 2016 at 4:28
  • Is there tubing, ducting, or hoses attached to it? Aug 31, 2016 at 5:13
  • My 2004 corolla had intake and battery over there. It could be a resonator, or a part of the intake system. Your best bet is to look for a shop manual for the car. Sep 1, 2016 at 1:34
  • Just added the picture of the part. Hope that sheds some light.
    – Eugene S
    Sep 1, 2016 at 1:52

3 Answers 3


Black makes me think that it might be part of the air intake system. Could be the intercooler.

Since you don't have access to the car, could you describe it a bit more? What's connected? How big is it?

  • Is there anything that you see connected to it? I don't think I see anything. That's puzzling.
    – dlu
    Sep 1, 2016 at 2:07
  • Unfortunately nothing is visible from the exposed side as you can see. The top and the back are hidden and I couldn't get to them easily without trying to dismantle it.
    – Eugene S
    Sep 1, 2016 at 2:25
  • How is it attached to the car?
    – dlu
    Sep 1, 2016 at 4:36

If one is windshield washer. I would assume the other one is engine coolant overflow bottle. One way to test that theory is to drive a good distance and let the engine cool. If the bottle is scalding hot then you will know.

  • Thank you for you answer, however when I search for engine coolant bottle, it seems to appear elsewhere.
    – Eugene S
    Aug 31, 2016 at 4:36

https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html looks like a air intake resenator.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.