The long brake line from the front to the rear in my '98 Dodge Dakota rotted out and I'm half-way through replacing it. (The title says '99 Dakota because the brakes are the '99 design.)

I'm pretty sure the 4 ends I've seen of the old brake lines are bubble flares.

The old lines definitely appear to be factory bent so I would assume they were bubble flared by the factory also.

All the forums I've checked and the manual on alldatadiy.com say to double flare the lines.

Should I double flare or bubble flare the brake lines on a '99 Dakota?

Please note that this matters because the seats in the female parts are very different.

Old line: enter image description here

Inside of union: enter image description here

  • 1
    That's a bubble flare.
    – Ben
    Aug 15 '16 at 21:42
  • @Ben Thank you for confirming that. I still need to know if it is supposed to have bubble flares or not. Aug 15 '16 at 21:58
  • take a picture of the female parts either on a hose or at the master cylinder.
    – Ben
    Aug 15 '16 at 22:01
  • that union is for a bubble flare as well if it were a double inverted there would be a hump around the hole for the flare to sit on. if that's stock it's safe to say that the system uses bubble flares.
    – Ben
    Aug 16 '16 at 0:03

If your truck has bubble flare type terminations, you need to use same same for the replacement. If you don't, you have to know it will leak. It really doesn't matter what the "book" says when what's staring you in the face is the answer. Neither end of the connection (male or female) is double flare.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.