Like most of us I have dealt with steel rust on many occasions, but how should I deal with aluminium corrosion bubbles under the paint?

I have just bought my first aluminium car, which are becoming a lot more common now. The bonnet has a few stone chips which have started to bubble.

On a steel car one would sand back, use a rust treatment (krust for example) and then fill / paint.

But How should I "Kill" the aluminium oxidation?


Same as steel panels, only if you use wire disc on angle grinder, use a softer brush. Everything else the same.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    but rust-converters are made for steel, not ally – Digital Lightcraft Jul 27 '16 at 19:21
  • @DigitalLightcraft Wire brush -> fill + paint. If you're expecting to convert the alumina back to aluminum you're not going to find a reasonable chemical treatment to do that. You just have to remove it then either hide or fill any resulting pits. – Jason C Jul 27 '16 at 19:43
  • 2
    Sorry, didn't really think of rust converters.. I just never used them, I always grind everything physically out and buy a high quality primer. – Arturs Bolsunovskis Jul 27 '16 at 19:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.