A car was in a collision and the front bumper is dented inward and cracked, I'm guessing up to an inch wide. Is there a way to either fill the crack with some type of foam? (Sophisticated tools and workbench are not currently available) If not, then how to at least seal the damage with something that will prevent rust? I've seen a couple videos that mentioned primer. Is it as simple as just spraying primer on the affected area? It's an older vehicle so it doesn't have to look visually pleasing as much as it just has to protect against the elements.

  • 1
    What is the bumper made of? Metal? Plastic? – Ben Jul 16 '16 at 11:15
  • 2
    Yes, what is the make/model/year of the vehicle? And a picture would help us tons to help you. – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Jul 16 '16 at 12:33
  • First of all looks like you will have to take it off. If it is plastic, you can heat it with a heat gun, and bend it back, very close to original shape, unfortunately sometimes the edge of a dent remains, and needs sanding and fillering. To repair cracks you can use a soldering iron, about 100W (I love it), and a fine aluminium mesh stripes. But some bumpers are made from a weird "non-meltable" plastic. – Arturs Bolsunovskis Jul 16 '16 at 18:51
  • 1
    Do you have a photo of the damage? That will help us choose the right approach – PeteCon Jul 16 '16 at 19:21
  • Its a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. After looking at it more closely, it appears it is actually some type of plastic. Is this material susceptible to rust? – public wireless Jul 18 '16 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.