I have a 99 Nissan Almera ( similar to the Sentra ) with a GA16DE engine and RS5F31A manual transmission. I quite likely have a bad fifth gear synchronizer, and am trying to find what part to order.

I found this site which has allot of interactive Nissan OEM diagrams and found this breakout of the transmission internals:

enter image description here

Here is an interactive version of the diagram which pops up part names.

I'm wondering which parts are the synchronizers, and what name they're calling them by.


The parts labelled RING-BAULK (32604 in your image) are the synchronizers. Do a search for Baulk Ring and you will find some descriptions. For example - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DoYaRsNFlEYC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=BAULK+ring&source=bl&ots=3PXYSDFriB&sig=WHMXOOAG06AIShqixrw1w1K1hro&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiszKbql-HNAhVH9mMKHX3cAf4Q6AEISjAK#v=onepage&q=BAULK%20ring&f=false

  • Spot on, Howie. Jul 7 '16 at 16:42
  • Just curious, are these baulk rings the same thing as a blocking ring? Jul 7 '16 at 18:52
  • 1
    That's probably not a good idea to wait for me, lol! Jul 7 '16 at 20:42
  • Yes, blocking, syncro, balk (never seen baulk, but Nissan is not my native language). I never wait for Paulster2.... I prefer to provide him endless opportunities to correct me goodly and proper.
    – SteveRacer
    Jul 8 '16 at 3:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.