I have two Japanese cars ( a Mazda and a Nissan ) which use cams placed directly over the valves ( no rocker arm ) which contact a shim sitting on top of a bucket over the valve. Are the shims used by different manufacturers all the same circumference such that I could use for example Toyota shims in a Nissan or Mazda or visa versa, or are the all different circumferences? I.e. are these type of shims standardized?

  • Kindly ask a nearby shop if they have your size (diameter) shims and will swap a few with you (of same diameter, but differing thickness). I have had shops do this for no charge. Maybe kick the guy a couple dollars for his time.
    – justinm410
    Aug 29, 2016 at 18:43

1 Answer 1


Almost never will you find two sets of shims from different manufacturers that are identical. That said, it's a shim. You can reshape a larger one if need be, though it's a hack job.

So unless you really want to go DIY, no, they're not interchangeable even if they're the right thickness.

  • How do you know ? Aug 30, 2016 at 5:49
  • It's been my experience doing valves on cars and motorcycles. Aug 30, 2016 at 12:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .