I have two Japanese cars ( a Mazda and a Nissan ) which use cams placed directly over the valves ( no rocker arm ) which contact a shim sitting on top of a bucket over the valve. Are the shims used by different manufacturers all the same circumference such that I could use for example Toyota shims in a Nissan or Mazda or visa versa, or are the all different circumferences? I.e. are these type of shims standardized?

  • Kindly ask a nearby shop if they have your size (diameter) shims and will swap a few with you (of same diameter, but differing thickness). I have had shops do this for no charge. Maybe kick the guy a couple dollars for his time. – justinm410 Aug 29 '16 at 18:43

Almost never will you find two sets of shims from different manufacturers that are identical. That said, it's a shim. You can reshape a larger one if need be, though it's a hack job.

So unless you really want to go DIY, no, they're not interchangeable even if they're the right thickness.

| improve this answer | |
  • How do you know ? – Robert S. Barnes Aug 30 '16 at 5:49
  • It's been my experience doing valves on cars and motorcycles. – Joe Makes Things Aug 30 '16 at 12:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.