What is the proper term to indicate how much force the driver needs to exert to steer the wheels of a car?


The force required for the driver to turn the steering wheel would be a torque measured in foot-pounds (or Newton-meters).

Extra Credit: The actual force required for the rack in a rack and pinion style steering system to push/pull the tie-rods to turn the wheels would be a simple load measured in pounds or kilograms. The actual load the tires experience when trying to turn would again be a torque.

  • 2
    Well, those are the units of measurement, not the actual term. Unless that's what the OP was asking. Jun 23 '16 at 10:11
  • @IhavenoideawhatI'mdoing Torque is the "term to indicate how much force" as OP requested, ft-lb is the unit of measurement. Jun 23 '16 at 13:06
  • 1
    Sorry, my question was indeed unclear, I was looking for the actual term and not the unit. However, it's nice to know the unit as well :) Also, thanks for the extra credit! Jun 23 '16 at 15:23

I've heard the term "steering effort" used, seems appropriate. It's not quantifiable, but it gets the idea across.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.