There's is oil appearing in the engine coolant, does this mean i have to buy a new engine? The car is a 2003 Ford Focus with 180k miles.

  • 1
    180 miles? Or maybe 180000 miles?
    – Kromster
    Commented Jun 20, 2016 at 6:46
  • 1
    Theres is oil appearing into the engine coolant , does this mean i have to buy a new engine? 180000miles
    – user19175
    Commented Jun 20, 2016 at 10:29

2 Answers 2


Depending on the cause of the fluids mixing: buying a new engine would be the most extreme of the possible repairs. The simplest repair for this would likely be a gasket replacement, which may still be quite costly, since (for example) head gaskets require taking apart most of the engine to replace.


No, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy a new engine. Although if you don't get it seen to, you will be in the market for one soon enough.

Generally speaking, as @user3188168 said, it's quite likely that it's the head gasket that's split, allowing some oil into the cooling system. The head gasket will need changing, and your radiator will need a flush out as well as the rest of the coolant galleries in the engine.

In a more severe scenario, your head itself may be split (I have seen a few duratech 2.0's do this). In that case, you'll need a new head. More expensive for sure, but still repairable.

But basically, a new engine is only needed in the event of catastrophic failures.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .