I have a diesel tractor with a generator. After sitting for a long period the battery was low so I used a portable jumper battery but mistakenly hooked up the cables in reverse. This caused smoke to come from the positive terminal hookup and fried the jumper battery which I replaced. I recharged the battery on the tractor and it turns over very well but the engine won't start.
Could I have damaged the electrical system in the tractor? If so what would be the fix? Could the electrical system be reversed polarity. This tractor always started up when battery was charged. The fuse on the dash appears to be OK The tractor is a 1955 INTERNATIONAL 504 DIESEL.