As user Steve Matthews pointed out on my last question Car interior rattles on idle The ideal use of a coke is "Use the choke until the car warms up properly. You can reduce the amount of choke gradually until it's fully off and keep the car running smooth."
But this brings up further questions that after an hour of searching I found no info on.
- What is the optimal use of a choke?
- What are the cons of using it incorrecly?
- What consecuences does wrong use of choke have on the long run?
- How important is it to gradually ease off the choke as the car starts warming up?
- How important is it to not push the engine too far while choke is engaged?
For reference the car is a 1985 Citroen BX, the choke is manual (maybe autochokes weren't popular in Spain) and the engine is a carb. Sorry I don't have a pic at hand but I'll definetly add one once I'm home!