There is a driveline component with a rubber shock absorption ring in it. It sits between the tranny and driveshaft.

I cannot remember the name of this component.

Does someone know the name of this device?

  • It would be helpful if you provided a picture of what you're looking for and what do you mean this is the 4th time writing this? – Hᴇʀʙɪᴇ Mar 29 '16 at 21:40
  • It's up underneath shielding and this car is set very low to the ground. It would be an hour work minimum to get the shot. Sorry man. – GrindingMetal Mar 29 '16 at 21:42
  • Is it two pieces of rubber connected by bolts? It may be designed to shear if too much torque is applied to the drive shaft or something locks up. I forget what it's called. like bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/… ? – Ben Mar 29 '16 at 21:44
  • It's for energy absorption in the driveline. All vehicles have some sort of mechanism to do this. BMW just happens to do it here. – GrindingMetal Mar 29 '16 at 21:49
  • 1
    Welcome to mechanics SE. Where the answers come with pictures! – DucatiKiller Mar 30 '16 at 0:29

I think most BMW owners call them a "Giubo". I have no idea where that comes from or why, but you'll find it very easily by Googling it by that name.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I'm sure it's short for some fancy Germanic word with 20 syllables. Ty. – GrindingMetal Mar 30 '16 at 0:20
  • And now that you said that it tickles my brain and reminds me that's what the crazy name was that I couldn't remember. ;-) – GrindingMetal Mar 30 '16 at 0:21
  • Good one dude.... – DucatiKiller Mar 30 '16 at 0:28

Are you referring to the Driveshaft FlexDisc?

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I can't vote in your answer. Sorry. – GrindingMetal Mar 29 '16 at 21:54
  • 1
    @GrindingMetal, you can accept it, though – Erik vanDoren Mar 29 '16 at 22:03
  • Did that. Thanks. Not familiar with the features. Appreciated. – GrindingMetal Mar 29 '16 at 22:05
  • For sure, we're here to help! Always fun to learn about new stuff too. – MooseLucifer Mar 29 '16 at 22:15
  • @GrindingMetal sure you can vote now. – user12648 Mar 30 '16 at 3:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.