I have a 2002 Golf. I put the car on the drive on Friday night and tried to use it on Wednesday and it was dead. No lights, no display nothing. I came home and jump started and it ran fine. No stalls etc etc. About 2 weeks ago the radio stopped working but as far as I can gather all the additional electrical systems are fine...heated seats etc. After the jump the radio was working. Does this point to the alternator not charging the battery and thus a dead battery or a bad battery that needs replacing. Incidently it was below 0F last night.
Follow up to comments.
I don't have enough points to comment back sorry.
The radio is factory installed.
Can i use the voltmeter on the battery charger if its not connected to the mains to see the change in voltage ?
2/4/2016 I don't have enough points to comment back sorry.
- got a voltmeter. 12.4v when powered off. 14.4 v running.
- took car to oreily they tested the battery and alternator said it was behaving perfectly.
So was the issue caused by the 3 days of not driving and the cold ? Is the radio being off a red herring and has nothing todo with my current issues just an unfortunate coincidence ? Its been working for the first time in 2 weeks today since being charged last night.