I've find guides for the 3rd generation RAV4, which makes it sound like a reasonably simple task - basically:
- Pop open the panel above the pedals, by the hood release
- Find the relay for the socket (middle of three)
- Connect the two copper contacts with wiring that can handle up to 10A
I've tried to (cautiously) work out how to translate these to my elderly RAV4.1, and here are the points I've come stuck. Please be aware this is my first mod, so I'm being extremely cautious:
- The procedure for popping out the panel is different. On my '98, the panel has two screws at the bottom - after unscrewing these, there's some other attachment at the top which I can't work loose without feeling like I'm going to snap the plastic. Also, the fuse box is on the outside of this panel, so it's connected to some pretty delicate looking wiring. How do I safely remove this panel? I've looked around, and checked the owner's manual, with no success. Doesn't help that I can't find the "correct" name for this panel to search for how to open it
- From what I can see behind the panel, it looks different to the pictures of the more recent model. How will I know which is the relay for the accessory AKA cigarette lighter socket?
- I'm reasonably confident that once I find the right relay, it'll be plain sailing, but since this is my first mod I'd appreciate a comment on whether crossing the connectors risks breaking anything if I made a mistake. I'm aware of the importance of using wire that won't melt or burn if a device draws 10A and I'll be double and triple checking wiring diagrams for this model.
Edit: I thought I'd found wiring diagrams (but on looking again, they were for the wrong model. I have however found a table which sounds like an adequate description for finding the right cable - but I'm not sure how reliable the source is:
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 // BLUE/RED (+) (18 Gauge wire) // @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS