My Touareg has the intake piping secured with a bunch of spring-type hose clamps.

I currently use a miniature C-clamp to expand them, but it is painfully slow, prone to slipping and access can be a problem at times.

Spring Type Hose Clamp

I have a pair of bent-nose pliers but they don't open wide enough. Before sinking funds into acquiring a bigger version of it, I was wondering if there is something that keeps the clamp expanded without keeping one hand busy.

So is there a more convenient, purpose-built tool for the job?

  • 2
    The first time you remove it, replace it with a jubilee clip.
    – HandyHowie
    Jan 9, 2016 at 21:22
  • @HandyHowie now where's the fun in that? :)
    – Zaid
    Jan 10, 2016 at 3:01
  • You should get yourself some bent long nose pliers. It's not the perfect tool for this job, but it will save you in many situations, including this one. Jan 11, 2016 at 17:20

3 Answers 3


You can use this tool to get the job done.

They are called Hose Clamp Pliers.

enter image description here

This is not the right tool

enter image description here

  • 2
    ROFL! Looks like a tool, but not the right one ;)
    – Zaid
    Jan 9, 2016 at 20:53
  • 1
    I had to uplevel my response since I was in competition with @paulster2 Jan 9, 2016 at 20:53
  • There is one benefit and one drawback of my solution over yours: drawback = the tool is more expensive; benefit = you can get to the clamp no matter what position it's in (which always seems to be out of the way where the pliers jaws cannot reach!). I still +1'd your answer if for no other reason than for the toolman. Jan 9, 2016 at 21:24
  • 2
    @Paulster2 At the risk of sounding awkward. I like your tool. IT IS better and getting up into weird spots which is so frequently the case, right? Upvote you for better tool. I'd hate winning using my comedic skills....which are right up there with my nunchuck skills btw....so don't mess! :-) Jan 9, 2016 at 21:27

If nothing else is available, I'd consider boot-pinch pliers, aka nail puller pliers, because the sharp edges will go under the lips and its going to be less likely to slip off than the C clamp.

Of course the right tool (as per other answers) would be much better, but for a once-off task then the right tool is quite expensive.

enter image description here

  • 1
    The trouble with such pliers is that the jaws are not wide enough to bite the spring, unless the pliers are ginormous. +1 nonetheless
    – Zaid
    Jan 10, 2016 at 3:00

Slip joint pliers can do the job quite well, but I usually use a pair of Vice Grips. There is, however a tool made for this. Here's an image of one:

enter image description here

It's called a: Spring Clamp - Flexible Ratchet Tool

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .