I have just had the cam belt and water pump changed at my local VW dealership on my 2004 VW Passat B5 and on the technical report they were kind enough to point out everything else they wanted to charge me money for. So this question is regarding the most "urgent" and "expensive" one in this report.
I spoke to a mechanic and he said a lot of technical things that I didn't understand which I know makes this problem much harder to solve. Sorry!
Here is what I know:
- There is a bearing that is wearing out near the front of the car
- It is near a big fan
- That bearing is important
- If that bearing jams it may mean that belts (I don't have a cam chain) dependent on that could come off causing severe damage to the engine
- Would cost £918 ($1500 maybe?) to get it fixed at the dealership
- 7-8 hours labour (supposedly)
- They would need to take the entire front end off the car to do the repair (hence the price)
- The bearing is near the alternator or power steering pump or both
I am looking for more information regarding this bearing and any parts surrounding it. Hopefully to determine whether the given quote is reasonable or even if it is something I could have a go at myself given adequate research.
What bearing is this? Do you have any more detailed information (and a proper name) for this bearing?