I have a POS (Piece of S**t) salvage motorcycle I purchased cheap for a purpose which has now passed. I'm ready to get rid of it and there's a guy down the street that mentioned possibly wanting to buy the engine, but only the engine.

Now I know that the frame and the engine both have VIN numbers ... if I sell just the engine, do I give him the title or do I keep the title for when I sell the frame? Or do I need to get a duplicate title and give him a title and whomever I sell the frame to a title as well?

My question is in regard to whatever would be the proper course of action in relation to California Dept of Motor Vehicle law.

  • 1
    In the states the title stays with the frame. Dec 21, 2015 at 15:33
  • Hi, we are trying to clean up our questions, answers and and unanswered questions over here on this stack exchange site. I'm hoping you can go through some of your 11 questions you've asked (good questions too) and award some answers to the people that have responded. Understanding that your time is probably pretty valuable and I want to be considerate of that. Grateful for your contributions to this site and hoping you can find some time to award a few of the respondents if you find their answers acceptable. Thanks and Happy New Year! Cheers. Jan 6, 2016 at 5:11

2 Answers 2


In the uk - the titles go with the frame. The engine has its own number but that can be updated by writing to the relevant authority when you do an engine swap.


The engine is a sub-component of the vehicle, just like a transmission.

Think about if you took the vehicle to the shop with a blown engine. You have the engine replaced. The bike is still yours. The title still remains with you (or the bank if they own it). You could strip everything off the frame and you'd still retain the title with the frame.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.