I've 2000 Yamaha R1 that I'm racing in my local Clubman's Championship. At the moment the throttle travel is very long, ie. half a turn or more from fully closed to fully open. I want to change this to a quick throttle, ie. a 1/4 turn from fully closed to fully open.

You can buy a quick throttle kit, but this is both very expensive and not available for my relatively old bike. Could I fit a throttle tube from a different bike to accomplish this and if so which bike?

Thanks in advance


Without knowing your bike specifics you may be able to make one yourself with the method described at this site http://www.aussiestreetbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24848

You'll have to take into account the required additional length of cable, tighter turns that the cable has to route through, you may also have to loosen the cable at the throttlebody/carb end to allow it to idle normally on closed throttle and then open faster.

| improve this answer | |
  • Wow, makes me wonder why an actual "kit" is so expensive. Looks like an easy mod. – JPhi1618 Oct 30 '15 at 18:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.