1

Hi I'm 16 years old and have just bought my first car. It's a 2001 Mazda protoge. Today while I was driving I plugged in a USB charger for my phone and the radio shut off. Now the radio won't turn on and the outlet for the USB charger doesn't work. I have no idea what happened. Could anyone explain?

migrated from electronics.stackexchange.com Sep 10 '15 at 22:16

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.

  • You're lucky it wasn't the cylinder head gasket. – Andy aka Sep 10 '15 at 22:14
  • Check the fuse. – Chu Sep 10 '15 at 22:15
  • What else could be the problem if all the fuse is working – Karen Dawn Feb 4 '17 at 2:16
1

OK so it blew a 15 amp fuse. Thanks for the help. I also want to know how it blew a 15 amp fuse so next time it won't happen. Does the radio actually draw that much current? Or did I short circuit the outlet by plugging the USB charger in? If you could help me figure out why it happened that would be great.

  • Where did you plug USB charger, Is it to a USB port or to the cigarette lighter via USB adapter. – Mahendra Gunawardena Sep 10 '15 at 23:01
  • Cigarette lighter – Trevor Sep 10 '15 at 23:20
  • I recently plugged cheap cigarette lighter/USB charger and had issues. I believe the charger is defective. – Mahendra Gunawardena Sep 10 '15 at 23:24
  • OK so if I get a good quality charger I should be fine? – Trevor Sep 10 '15 at 23:27
  • 1
    You will have to try, It should work fine, I believe – Mahendra Gunawardena Sep 10 '15 at 23:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.