My car, a 2003 Toyota Kijang (known as Toyota Revo in other markets) uses a non maintenance-free battery that has to be topped up every now and then with distilled water.

Today, while filling it up, I accidentally overfilled the battery (I was startled by something and my hand flinched). The liquid overflowed on top of the battery. So I closed the cap and poured water on top of the spills to dilute and wash it away.

What should I do next? I think I don't have a tool to suck out the excess fluid from the battery, and the battery is too heavy for me to lift out of the engine bay.

  • 1
    If you do this again, consider using baking soda to neutralize the acid instead of just diluting it with water.
    – juhist
    Commented Jul 3, 2017 at 19:30

2 Answers 2


You can try removing some with a specific gravity checking bulb with glass tube. If you don't have one a simple plastic hypodermic syringe (50ml) will do the trick. Do not keep the acid in the syringe for a long time though.


I think you've done all you can do by washing the excess away. Accidents happen and you've done the best you can. I don't think you've ruined your battery, though the electrolyte may be a little low in the cell you overfilled. As long as you can put the cap back on, I'm fairly sure you are in good shape.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .