Is it possible to add a pressure gauge to a tire pump that has no pressure gauge? I was googling for pump hoses with built-in pressure gauge but couldn't find any. I was also looking for pressure gauges that can be attached to either end of the hose of the tire pump but found none.

  • Are you talking about adding one to a compressor line? If so, look for tire chuck with air gauge and I think you'll see what you're looking for. – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Jun 27 '15 at 16:02
  • No, I want to add one to a simple mechanic pump, the kind you can push with your hands or your foot. – Elmer Jun 28 '15 at 12:38
  • There are hand/foot pumps which come with a pressure gauge attached. – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Jun 28 '15 at 12:47
  • 1
    Yes, I know, but I'm looking for a way to add a pressure gauge to my old pump rather than getting a new pump. – Elmer Jun 28 '15 at 16:06

You should be able to add one by adding a t-piece into the high-pressure line and adding a gauge to the T. I'd have hoped that someone would have made a ready-made one that wouldn't involve modifying the pump, but I can't find one, so I think you'd have to make your own.

On that basis, you'd need:

  • a t-piece with the same internal diameter as your pump's air line
  • another bit of hose with the same internal diameter
  • a suitable gauge

Something like this Draper gauge with it's own flexible hose would provide both the latter two, so you'd just need a suitable t-piece (I'm not sure of the correct internal diameter, I'd guess 5 or 6 mm, but don't have anything to hand to measure)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.