My MB C300 will not start. I put the key in and turn it but nothing happens. The radio and internal lights do come on but not the car. The steering wheel is locked and can't put it on Neutral either (to push it out the garage).
Here is a list of troubleshooting steps that I tried (obtained from reading forums and calling around).
Purchased a new battery assuming the root cause was the battery since it had a sticker date of 5/11 close to 5 years. Although the internal lights would come on and was able to lock and unlock the car (using main remote key) I thought it just did not have enough juice to crank the car. A new battery did not fix the issue.
Tried turning the car on using the spare key. If the battery on your main remote key is low it can be the root cause for the car not starting (per local mechanic).
Visually inspected all fuses and looked for a blown fuse, none found. I will be keeping this car for ever so I purchased a decent code scanner I can diagnose what the internal computer logs is giving out.
- (5 days later) The scanner arrived, configured it for my car model. Ran diagnostic test, error results are as follows
- A25407 (1/1) - The electronic steering lock has a malfunction. There is a mechanical fault.
- A15F11 (2/2) - Relay 1 'Circuit 15R' has a malfunction. There is a short circuit to ground.
C01988 (1/2) - Interior CAN communication has a malfunction. CAN bus OFF default
B126231 (1/3) - No communication with the compass
- B126322 (2/2) Compass: Signal amplitude too large
- B127A54 (3/3) Compass: Incorrect calibration
I suspect the error keeping the car from starting are the A15F11 and A25407. This video shows the unit at fault. The car has to go to the dealer for repair since it will eventually require key programing something only dealers can do.