I drive a 2010 Civic with about 80k kilometers on it and it makes a screeching or squealing noise when I drive.
I've checked other relevant posts + googling, and I suspect brakes, not the fan belt (because the noise is not constant). Here's what I've seen:
- When driving, sometimes there's a noise (like an oscillation); most often when/after I turn right. It increases in frequency with the car velocity.
- The noise occurs sometimes when driving straight or turning left.
- The noise didn't occur in the rain.
- Overnight, the probability of the noise occurring dropped.
- The noise doesn't occur when I brake.
- When reversing, there's a constant screeching noise.
Is it my brakes, or something else? I had a test-drive with a mechanic, and he suggested that it is indeed the brakes, most likely the rear ones. (I'll find out tomorrow when he opens it up.)