We have a 2005 Ford Escape XLS that has the airbag light on the dashboard illuminated with error code 16.
After some searching I found how to get the error code by counting the sequence of flashes before the light remains sold. The sequence is one flash, pause, 6 flashes for an error code of
The only information I can find about this error is that it is:
passenger occupant classification system fault
Troubleshooting steps completed:
- Removed and reinserted connectors under passenger seat
- Cleaned all connectors under passenger seat
- Disconnected the vehicle battery for a period of 5 minutes
- Cleaned seat-belt release
- If I sit in the passenger seat and start the vehicle, the trouble light doesn't illuminate.
- If I buckle the passenger seat belt, with no passenger, the passenger airbag disabled indicator light on the center console will occasionally flash. Occasionally it will remain solid for the entire trip.
Based on the above troubleshooting steps and error code, what is the ultimate resolution to this problem?
Do additional steps need to be performed?
Note: I was thinking of replacing the entire seat but want to rule out the main module or other components I may not have thought of.