I sense a burning smell when getting out of the car (Nissan Maxima 02 V6). I am pretty sure it is an oil leak from somewhere based on the odor, but not sure where else to look for.
The smell was pretty heavy about a month ago and I noticed that the valve covers were wet outside and oil would drip on top of the heat shields of the exhaust manifolds (both front and rear). So this is what I did:
- Changed both valve cover gaskets (lots of gasket maker on the curved edges).
- Cleaned the outside of the valves as well as I could.
- Cleaned the heat shields of the two exhaust manifolds (For the rear one I could only get my hand so far down there).
- Changed the 3 gaskets that come with the intake manifold plentum kit.
- Cleaned the space in between the intake manifold since there were debri, dust, oil etc...
After doing all the above I have to say that the burn smell SIGNIFICANTLY dropped, now I only sense it when getting out of the car but before I could sense it as soon as I turn the car on or off and at times even while driving when putting the heat on, I thought I was going to intoxicate myself.
However, there is still smell when getting out of the car, even though is not as strong, I do not like it. It seems like there is still a leak somewhere and I do not know where. I went over everything I did (visual and feel inspection) and there is no more oil leaking from the valve covers, the exhaust shields are dry. It has to be a mild leak because I do not see oil staints in the ground and the car does not complain about being low on oil.
Where could this be coming from? any ideas?
Suggestion: Also somebody with enough rights could create the following tags: valve cover, manifold, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, heat shield