I got into a really bad wreck last winter. My power steering was leaking and had locked up in the middle of an icy road, while I was trying to find a median at night. The guy hit me going around 70 miles an hour but I was able to redirect the momentum and ended up repairing it and redoing my front end as well. I had to replace the trailing arm, upper control arm and beat the dent out with a 2x4, car jack, and a big hammer, with some coolant hoses to spread the force evenly when using the car jack. I smoothed it out most of the way by heating it with a propane torch and having someone hold a plate on the other side while i flattened it with the hammer. There's a lot to learn when it comes to undoing a collision but I've never really understood what a body puller does and I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of tools I might be able to get access to finish the job on my own.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 2
    What aluminum are you talking about? Last time I checked, aluminum doesn't rust. As for the question, looks like you have a good start on getting it fixed, but realistically, getting a replacement quarter is a much more realistic option as you'll spend way more time repairing this by using the hammer/dolly method, than you would by cutting the old off and welding a replacement in place. Just saying. Jan 7, 2015 at 14:19
  • 4
    Judging by the activity in other questions, this guy's trolling: mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/14899/… , mechanics.stackexchange.com/a/14900/675
    – Zaid
    Jan 7, 2015 at 15:46
  • So are you saying that's a steel body? I never really thought of that. Anyways as far as I've gotten I'm worried that cutting and rewelding may cause a weakness or lead to other problems. I'm talking about the crease around the top of the brake light. There's also a spot along the body seam refer to first picture, that I didn't spend enough time on. Are there any machines that can do that kind of detailed reshaping? Something that small? Because they sure should make one. Something mounted to a track that could swivel and swing into different small areas, maybe using friction for heating sourc Jan 8, 2015 at 2:51
  • The panel goes over the door and makes up the rest of the door frame, stopping at the side mirror. How hard would it be to remove that. I know there are spot welds in the back that could be drilled out. But how is that door frame held in place? I know it can't just be adhesive. It's a 1998 Civic EX. Jan 8, 2015 at 2:54
  • You only cut away and replace what you need. If you have no experience with this type of work, you should leave it to a professional. In this case, though, it would be cut to match and butt welded to mate, then welds ground down to leave the metal flawless. Then you put a thin (very thin) coat of body putty over it to ensure the entire surface looks like new. If you have to put more than an 1/8" of body putty on it, you still have some metal work to do. You only use it to get rid of the high spots. Lots of fun: lots of work. Jan 24, 2015 at 18:00

1 Answer 1


Short strand fibreglass and Bondo would be the easiest option for you, I bet.

Alternatively, use a dolly and hammer. On top of that you can use a shrink disc from Wolfes Metal.

  • I really like the shrink disc method video. Nice trick. Jan 6, 2016 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.