Did the Interceptor version of the Crown Victoria come with a different ECU/Tune than the consumer version of the Crown Victoria?
According to this Wikipedia article, there are many differences, but most of them are minor:
- Both use the same 4.6l SOHC V8 engine
The Police Interceptor (PI) has:
- An external oil cooler
- A slightly different tune which allows the engine to idle a slight bit higher (40rpm)
- Has more aggressive transmission shift points
- Transmission is built for harder, more aggressive shifts
- Different EGR control for 03+
- Most come with different rear end gear ratio (and different top speed) than stock
- Have a reinforced frame and body mounts and an optional limited slip rear differential
- Severe duty shock absorbers
- Stainless steel exhaust without resonators
- Most 04+ models have 200A alternators and a 75Ah battery
From what I'm seeing there isn't much there which will differentiate performance, but a bunch there which will help with the longevity of the vehicle, especially for handling the extreme abuse dealt by the Popo.