I have a 1970 Camaro and put the wrong Ball-Joint in the upper control arm. Does anyone have an idea on how to change it without a motor? I can't drill a hole in the garage floor to anchor the frame. I'm thinking a ratchet strap or maybe a boomer to compress it. Any suggestions would great. This project is more complicated; I've read that the model before 1970 1/2 are actually a 1969 frame until model change in the spring of 1970. I have a 69 Ball-joint (it was a different part#) coming tomorrow.

1 Answer 1


I think your best bet is to go down to AutoZone or the like and rent a spring compressor from them. Charge is minimal (if anything ... some places allow you to borrow with a deposit). I would not try to use a rachet strap, as it would have a high likelihood of slipping and allowing the spring to fly out ... Well maybe not, since the shock goes down the middle of it, but it would not be pretty.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .