My current car is a 2004 Honda Civic. I put a ball and electric for lights for a trailer on it right after I got it and have been pulling stuff with it for ~9 years.
My car has been through the ringer and I'll be replacing it soon (10 years, 180k+, overheating and the cost to fix will be more than it's worth). I want another car... and I want to be able to pull light loads. I assume the damage done to car - and it's current state - is at least partly due in part to pulling a trailers across country (from San Diego, to St Louis, to Phenix Alabama, to Wilmington De... not all in one go mind you).
What should I look for in a new/newer car that will make it more accommodating to pulling? I'm not talking about daily, or even weekly... but I do have 2 trailers and this will be my main transportation (shown below).
Edit for clarification:
I want to stress I'm looking to do this safely and efficiently, which I probably haven't focused on as much in the past. I'm looking for few things:
- Decent gas mileage while not pulling. My Civic gets ~33mpg and it's 10 years old. (I know mileage will be lower while pulling... much less pulling a square box)
- Decent pulling capability - for a car. There are a few cars that have some ability. I've found a few lists like this which include cars with 1500 pound pulling capacity like the Toyota Corolla and Accura ZDX. I understand this isn't a Dodge Durango, a Ford F 350 or tractor trailer - but I don't need that much "oomph".
- Safety. I've pulled the bigger trailer below across country. Right or wrong, the car has stood strong until recently and I've never "overloaded" the trailer - nor have I paid attention to things like curb weight, tongue weight, GVRW, GCWR, etc. When pulling, I keep ample space between me and whats ahead of me - but the car most likely isn't rated to what I've been doing.
- Maybe adding breaks to the trailer, since that takes stress off of the puller.
removed math Corrected understanding of tongue weight (downward force on ball) and towing capacity (total weight of pulled trailer).
Some resources I've found so far:
- Cars with towing capacity
- Honda Civic Towing Specifications - what I hope is good explanations of stuff like Tongue weight that I've never considered before
- Pace Journey specs
- 2004 Honda Civic Specs
These are more or less my trailers (Same shape/size if not exact same model):