I needed to remove the passenger seat to weld a hole in the floor. I disconnected the battery, the wires to the seat and removed it. After re-installing the seat and the battery , my air-bag light started flashing. I tried to re-set the computer by battery disconnected and waiting 10 min. but it did nothing. I have active head restraints and air-bags in the seat. 2004 Nissan maxima
I found these directions for resetting the SRS after the dash light starts blinking. It is from this website:
- Open the driver’s door.
- Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver’s Door Switch (DDS).
- Turn the ignition from OFF to ON.
- Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON.
- Turn the ignition OFF.
- Close the driver’s door.
- Start the engine.
If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer.
I'm sure a reset will fix your issue, as I doubt (though don't know for sure) you have caused any permanent damage to your system by disconnecting the seat harness. I post this because it is quite different than what has been posted already and I found it in several places on the web. Hope it helps.
The air bag system checks itself every time you turn on the ignition. If the air bag light was going out after 7 seconds every time you turned on the ignition before the welding was carried out but not afterwards, it suggests that the wires may have been burnt/damaged by the welding. Try the following before anything else. It is for resetting the airbag system without a service tool.
- Turn ignition switch “ON”.
- After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, and starts flashing, turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second. DO NOT SWITCH IT TO LOCK, SWITCH IT TO ACC
- Wait more than 3 seconds.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 two times. Perform 3 times in total.
- Turn ignition switch “ON”. SRS is now in Diagnosis mode. In diagnosis mode, you’re going to hope the light flashes slowly.2 seconds off, 3 seconds on, and repeats.If your light does this, this means that the computer detected a previous error that hasn’t been erased.This is good.
- If “AIR BAG” warning lamp now operates 2 secs off 3 secs on, turn ignition switch “OFF” to reset from Diagnosis mode and to erase the memory.
- Turn ignition “ON”. “AIR BAG” warning lamp should operate like normal.
protected by Community♦ Nov 3 '18 at 19:59
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?