Tag Info

New answers tagged


Part of the reason is that you don't want the oil pan plug to be the first part in the system that hits a bump, tall rock or road debris. Oil pans are pretty durable: if they hit a bump, they'll likely dent. A bolt can be easily knocked askew, off thread or ripped completely out of its hole. I've seen that last one happen right in front of me: tragic. ...


EDIT based on comments: It's a little hard to tell exactly how much oil we're talking about. The dipstick isn't necessarily a linear measurement: being halfway down the stick doesn't necessarily mean that you have exactly 1/2 your normal allotment of oil. Reminder: as always, this is your car and you have to make the call. Given that and based on the ...


That would be a problem with your coolant system. Too much oil will simply burn off the excess oil, and you shouldn't notice much of a difference. You can get a neon liquid from most auto parts stores, pour it in your radiator, as you would coolant, not in your reservoir, unless the vehicle is made where you can only add it to the reservoir. You then use the ...


I've had this problem twice in my 2001 325CIC (E46) and both times it was the oil sensor going bad.


I asked this same question to the workshop that performed the headjob on one of my cars and they said that apart from a bit of smoke, it wouldn't be anything to worry about. As long as there is enough oil in the engine. They could have told me to give them more money, but they didn't.


You said "valve gaskets" but I'm going to assume you actually mean the valve seals. Since you are seeing a small puff of smoke sometimes during startup and when you are accelerating, these are usually caused by two separate issues, both of which you are mentioning. Start-up puff of smoke can usually be attributed to bad valve seals. This is because oil ...


The culprit is usually shot piston rings. They act as a buffer between the combustion chamber and the bottom half of the engine. If they go, oil can seep into the combustion chamber and get burned up along with the fuel. To fix this, they'd have to take the entire engine apart to get at the bottom of the pistons. It's not a cheap procedure. Or maybe you're ...

Top 50 recent answers are included