Tag Info

Hot answers tagged

4

To add a little bit to Paulster2's answer the upper and lower Explosive Limits of Gasoline is 7.6% and 1.4% respectively. This means that a concentration outside of those limits will either be to rich or lean to burn. And since Gasoline's Flash point is -45 °F (-43 °C) it's pretty much always putting off vapors, which would push any air out of the tank. It's ...


3

You could absorb it with a rag. Either put continue to hold the tank upside down and stick a rag in the collar around the opening or hold onto a corner and lower the rag into the tank. Leave the cap off and whatever residue that is left after you pull out the rag should evaporate quickly.


2

I pulled this from the talk side of Wikipedia page on electric fuel pumps, which I think explains it pretty well: I am an auto mechanic who also has a chemistry background. The reason electric, tank- mounted fuel pumps do not cause explosions is that the concentration of fuel vapors is too high to allow an explosive mixture. The volatile (which in this ...


2

Depending on the class/model, there should be somewhere between 1.5-2.1 USG (~6-8 litres) left in the tank when the light comes on. Here is some interesting reading on this very subject. It seems MB has had a lot of problems with their fuel level indicators. Seems the "best defense" against this is to never let it get below a 1/4 tank on the gauge. Either ...


1

I don't know exactly how the pump comes out of the holder, but if you are saying the black tube is the only thing which is really holding it in, just cut it. You'll get a new hose with your new pump. The pump I just looked at had it in the parts kit. Comes with two hose clamps which connect both ends for you. You'll also get a new strainer for the bottom, so ...


1

K.B.S coatings make a 3 step kit to clean blast and reseal tank.Involves tank removal (a compressor aids in one part of process-I used a hair dryer) and is suitable for cars and bikes.


1

You could also heat the tank lightly, without open flame (hair dryer maybe). This would cause the gas left inside to evaporate, then could be forced out using a compressor hose. You'd need to be careful not to heat it to high so as to cause combustion. Also, do this in a well ventilated area so as to not inhale the fumes.



Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible