Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Could someone tell me what the law states with regards to the illumination of number plates in the UK? (i.e. number of lights, intensity in mcd (milli-candella)?)

I have installed a reversing camera on my car in the place of a number plate lamp holder and no longer have enough space to reinstall a bulb so I want to replace both lamp holders with 'LED Bolts' similar to this:

enter image description here


But all of these products are sold for scooters and motorbikes and I want to make sure my car would still be road worthy.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The rules you are after are the road vehicle lighting regulations 1989 (link).

Particularly this page.

Unfortunatly, as usual, they are pretty vague:

Such that the lamp or lamps are capable of adequately illuminating the rear registration plate


An approval mark

I can't see any minimum rating there - I don't think any are specified in candela, it's usually a wattage IIRC.

share|improve this answer
I suppose vague is good in that it doesn't rule them out! I'll install and see how they look (illuminate) compared to other cars and hopefully that will be OK. That site looks very useful; Thank You! – sebf May 31 '11 at 19:13
Strange. "Adequate" is a pretty subjective matter. – I have no idea what I'm doing Nov 19 '15 at 13:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.