Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently replaced one of the half-shafts on my Saabaru with a new aftermarket part. I know that the old factory one I took off can be rebuilt, and if I'd bought a rebuilt unit I'd've had to put down a hefty core deposit. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a "refund" on an old core without having bought a rebuilt unit?

share|improve this question

Parts stores take a deposit when you don't have the old part, and refund you the deposit when you return the core. Since you didn't give them a deposit, I doubt very seriously they will give you any money for it. You may want to try an axle re-builder in your area, CV axles are easy to rebuild and a lot of cites have local re-builders, they may be willing to buy it from you as they will be able to rebuild and then sell it directly.

share|improve this answer
+1. You're going to have to try it and see. If one auto parts store turns you away, the next one might take it. – jp2code May 20 '11 at 13:18
Is there any online community for the model in question? You might find someone else who has bought a rebuilt unit but doesn't have a usable core one to return, and might give you a bit of money for it? – Nick C May 27 '11 at 9:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.