Take the 2-minute tour ×
Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I will be cleaning out my motorcycle tank using electrolysis. First, I have to remove all the gas from the tank, and then do the cleaning and then remove all the water that's left over, but I have a problem:

The tank has a collar all the way around the inside of the top opening. This collar prevents the gas from draining completely when I turn it over. I can't seem to get much out of the opening for the petcock either. How can I get all the fluid from my tank. There's not enough gas left in the tank to allow for siphoning. I was thinking along the lines of a turkey baster, but I can't find one long enough.

How can get all the fluid out of my tank so that it's dry? It's a 2005 Honda Shadow.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

You could absorb it with a rag. Either put continue to hold the tank upside down and stick a rag in the collar around the opening or hold onto a corner and lower the rag into the tank.

Leave the cap off and whatever residue that is left after you pull out the rag should evaporate quickly.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. I'll give that a try. –  Edwin Jan 1 '14 at 5:50

You could also heat the tank lightly, without open flame (hair dryer maybe). This would cause the gas left inside to evaporate, then could be forced out using a compressor hose. You'd need to be careful not to heat it to high so as to cause combustion. Also, do this in a well ventilated area so as to not inhale the fumes.

share|improve this answer
When you say "forced out using a compressor hose", you mean blowing outside air into the tank to displace the gas vapors? How would you tell when all the vapor is gone? –  Josh Caswell Dec 31 '13 at 20:30
Yes, just displace the gas vapors. Common sense will tell you when it's gone. It won't take much heat to get the fuel to vaporize, nor much air to get all of the vapors out. You can sniff the displaced air enough to tell if you've removed all of the vapors, just don't breath in too much. You don't want to get high and kill brain cells. –  Paulster2 Dec 31 '13 at 21:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.