Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When buying your very first car : After buying a used car from a dealer/private owner then drive home , what insurance should I have ? and also when doing a test drive how insurance work ?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Move More Comments Link To Top Dec 11 '13 at 14:59

  • This question does not appear to be about motor vehicle maintenance or repair within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question appears to be off-topic because it is about insurance and buying a car – Move More Comments Link To Top Dec 11 '13 at 14:59
If there's a better *exchange, then move it there, but I think this type of question adds value to the site. – Juann Strauss Dec 11 '13 at 15:03
@JuannStrauss I disagree, the help section states Questions related to the maintenance and repair of motor vehicles and their accessories, internal combustion engines, even in applications other than automotive so long as the question is related to engine or engine accessories. See here for more info. – Move More Comments Link To Top Dec 11 '13 at 18:29
Well you're welcome to disagree, but you are disagreeing with something I DIDN'T say. What I said was that this question adds value, NOT that it is a 100% fit for maintenance and repair. – Juann Strauss Dec 12 '13 at 8:49

It probably depends on the country you're in, but usually, if you are financing the car through a financial institution, you'll have to offer to purchase a car then immediately apply for insurance. You'll only be allowed to take possession of the car once you have insurance. This usually takes only a few hours.

I don't think this applies when you buy the car cash. But in some countries, like England, you MUST be insured, no matter what.

As far as test drives go, the dealer is supposed to have insurance that covers any accidents you may get into, but may require you to pay an "excess" amount. However, you're only liable to pay it IF you were told about it beforehand and they can prove that you agreed to it.

share|improve this answer
Hi , yes it's England. So basically I just want to understand the process from test drive to when drive home after buying the car. Specially when you buy from dealers and private owners can be found in gumtree and autotrader . And no financing. In this case how can I get insured ? is there any daily insurance something like that? – nish1013 Dec 11 '13 at 10:01
Sorry, that was everything I know about how it works in England. And I got that from Top Gear. It's probably best to ask the dealer himself if you trust him enough. – Juann Strauss Dec 11 '13 at 11:20

In the UK, you must have at least third party insurance to cover you to drive the car. You have several different possible situations here though.

  1. Test driving a car from a dealer - in this situation, as Juann says, the dealer should provide the insurance.

  2. Test driving a car from a private seller - here you are responsible. If you already have a car with a fully comprehensive policy, it may cover you to drive other cars that are not owned by you (check your policy details). If not, you can buy "day insurance" from a number of sites online, for between £10 and £20 (it may have gone up since I last looked...) per day.

  3. After you have bought the car - At this point, it is yours, so the trick in 2 doesn't apply. Again you can get day insurance, or phone your existing insurer and change your policy over to the new car - some insurers may allow you to add a second car to an existing policy temporarily, but most won't.

  4. After you have bought the car, if you don't have another car already - This is the easy one. between paying the deposit and collecting the car, take out a new policy...

share|improve this answer
So after buying the car I must take day insurance to take it home ? – nish1013 Dec 11 '13 at 11:13
:) sorry I found the answer" between paying the deposit and collecting the car, take out a new policy..." – nish1013 Dec 11 '13 at 11:29

In the UK and the USA, you must have valid insurance to take the car on the road no matter what. No insurance - no driving on the road.

If you already have a car you are insured to drive, and you are the policy holder, your policy may allow you to drive other cars. Any other car you do drive must also have insurance on it. The cover will be pro-rata between the insurance companies, usually at third party only. This does not apply to named drivers, a named driver cannot drive another vehicle pro-rata.

A dealer should have a motor traders policy which will allow customers to test drive vehicles.

Short term insurance cover is available. It may also be available as an extension from your present insurers.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.