Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been looking at this diagram to try and understand what's what under my hood, and I'm not sure what "GB-1" and "GB-2" and so on are referring to.

share|improve this question
What vehicle is it, year, model, engine size. It looks like a Suburu. – Allan Osborne Nov 26 '13 at 21:30
Wow, good call. Subaru Legacy '97. 2200. – Aerovistae Nov 26 '13 at 21:38
@Aerovistae, he's cheating - the Subaru owners in the audience know that they all look the same under the hood ;-) – Bob Cross Nov 26 '13 at 22:46
I drive a 2 litre Ford Focus, just like the wife suggested. Its the brother-in-law who has a Subaru:-) – Allan Osborne Nov 27 '13 at 18:07
up vote 7 down vote accepted

It is a ground, and as Digital Lightcraft "Ground Bolt" sounds reasonable. The picture below show another view from the same car. You can see from the picture that it is indeed a terminal that's bolted to the chassis.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Interesting though, one is called GB-7 while the other is simply GR... – Move More Comments Link To Top Nov 27 '13 at 14:00

Hard to say without knowing the car, but based on previous experience, its likely to be "Ground Bolt"

IE ground / earth (-) for the electrical system to the chassis/shell/monocoque

share|improve this answer
They are in fact on the chassis, I was going for the same guess. – PedroC88 Nov 26 '13 at 21:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.