Take the 2-minute tour ×
Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a 98 jeep cheerokee sport. The air conditioning coolant leaks. After doing some diagnostics, I detected audibly a hissing sound coming from the low input port, leading me to believe the schrader valve is leaking.

How do I determine which valve core remover tool fits my vehicle? I have found one from Mastercool and one from Interdynamics. I am pretty sure I bought one of these before and it didnt work, because it supposed that the car had a thread around the outside of the low input port for it to "connect to", whereas on the jeep, there is no thread on the outside of the port, its actually on the inside of the port, as pictured below.

Leaking low input port

Furthermore, I have read that instead of replacing the valve, you can simply use plumbers tape around the inside of the cap, and an "o-ring" (though where that goes I dont know). If I took this approach (instead of using the valve core tool) how would I get plumbers tape inside the port (or inside the cap) around the threads, since theres so little space?

Low input port cap

Further, how do I find the correct "o-ring" and how would I install it? I've read people do this with metal caps but I only found plastic ones for my jeep online and at my auto store.

Edit 11/13: Upon further inspection, it appears that the O-Ring is on the inside of the schrader valve cap. Any tips on getting it out? I've read that the cap and this ring is what provides the definitive seal, so if I replace this, I'm guessing it can do as a work-around solution. Ideally though I'd like to do both (replace the o-ring and the valve).

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

I would go ahead and replace both the valve and the o-ring. Also, you most likely have the R134a, as this has become the standard for automobile Acs for the time being. As far as getting the right parts? Try calling Jeep, and getting some part numbers. When you get down to specific small items like these, I doubt aftermarket parts are available. Once replaced, ensure that the vacuum holds on the laking cap, before wasting money on the refrigerant.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.