Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 1940 Buick Super. I need to remove the master cylinder to rebuild it, but the bolts turn in the frame when I try to remove the nuts. There is some kind of metal cover over the end of the bolt and no head to grip.

share|improve this question

If you have access to the nuts on threaded studs, you can use a nut splitter to get the nuts off. Then you can clean up the threads, and you might have access to the blind side of the mounting point.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.