Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to install a By-Pass filter on my Jeep TJ (2004). Where can I put the other end of the tube going into the filter? I have included a diagram illustrating what I am looking for (where the red circle is) on the Jeep.


enter image description here

share|improve this question
Are you asking about the commentary on the diagram? The implication is that you should tap the oil feed where the current oil pressure sending unit is already doing the same thing. Is that what you're trying to locate? – Bob Cross Jul 16 '13 at 13:13
This thread has a reasonable picture of the location in question: – Bob Cross Jul 16 '13 at 13:16

It's easier just to buy the filter adapter kit for $50 that way you don't have to tap a return line either.

That's what I did.

But if your cheap sometimes engines have an extra oil feed bung down on the lower part of the engine block near where the oil pump would be just above the oil pan. Don't know if your jeep has one but worth a quick snoop.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.