Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do I bleed a clutch for a Ford Econovan 1989 model after putting in new master cylinder kit? as in where is the bleed nipple? It sure isn't the one on the steering column, it only works for brake.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There should be a bleed nipple down by the slave cylinder.

Like this

share|improve this answer

I believe this model uses a hydraulic throwout bearing to disengage the clutch. Some brands come pre-bled with a clutch mastercylinder,hose and slave as one assembly. Look for some type of cover on the bell housing that will allow access to the throwout bearing. You may be able to follow the hydraulic line to the tranny to get an idea where to look. You may be lucky and find a bleeder nipple you can reach. If there is no access then the transmission must be removed to repair or replace the throwout bearing.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.