Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I did a search on the VIN and the engine type is listed as: 2.0L I4 SPI

Can anyone tell if it is California or Federal Emissions? From what I've been told they have completely different intake systems.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

There are two ways to tell. Your local ford dealer can tell by decoding the VIN (the vehicle indentification number). It is usually located on the dashboard at the base of the windshield on the drivers side. If you look under the hood there is usually a sticker on the frame near the radiator that will say complies with California or 49 state emissions. The sticker may be missing so a call to the Ford dealer is the most reliable.

share|improve this answer
Regarding the sticker, this page from the California DMV shows what to look for. – Compro01 Apr 30 '13 at 19:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.